BISE Kohat came into being on 19 January 2002 with the appointment of Brig (Retd) Talat Imtiaz Naqvi as the Founder Chairman. The Board started functioning in temporary offices in KDA Kohat. Simultaneously, 50 kanal land was procured on Indus Highway, adjacent to Kohat University of Science & Technology. The master plan and detailed drawings of the new Board Complex were approved by Lt Gen (Retd) Syed Iftikhar Hussain Shah, Governor NWFP/Controlling Authority in September 2002 and construction of the new complex commenced on 1 November 2002. The new Board Complex was completed in a record time of just 16 months and its inauguration was performed by the Governor NWFP on 4 March 2004.
The Board Complex consists of a four storey offices building, an auditorium for 1000 people, a hostel to accommodate 100 people, a mosque a bank a post office, a cafeteria, and lush green lawns. In addition, the Board Complex has sufficient number of storerooms and has four specious halls to be utilized for central marking. Furthermore, the Board also has a comprehensive secrecy department to handle all confidential and secret matters pertaining to examination.
BISE Kohat is one of the best organized and most efficient boards of the country.